Monday, November 5, 2012

Beethoven's Minuet in G


Our 10 year old daughter Quin nearly always accompanies us when we go to work at the orphanages in China.  This morning back at home in Wisconsin, she had a very astute observation that I would like to share with you.
Quin takes piano lessons and her teacher has assigned her to learn Beethoven's Minuet in G.  She wanted her to familiarize herself with the music before the next lesson.  I googled a version on You Tube for her to listen to.  When she heard the music, she started to laugh and said, "I wonder why she wants me to learn a chinese children's song!"  I was confused and she explained...  "This is the song they play every morning for the children at Hangzhou!"  Of course!  This melody is so familiar to me that it went right over my head but Quin's only experience hearing it was when she watched the children being taken for walks every single morning at the orphanage in Hangzhou!  I told Quin what valuable information that is for parents who have just adopted a child from Hangzhou.  Playing this same music for a child is a way perhaps, to ease the transition during the adoption process, or comfort a child who has just had surgery.  I also explained to her that it might have the opposite affect and cause anxiety.  But I do know for sure that when those kids hear this song with their new families from the US, or Europe they won't be hearing a classical piece written by a famous german composer.  They'll be hearing this sweet chinese children's song:

No comments:

Post a Comment